Monday, July 23, 2012

Christmas In July: Part 5

Christmas in July continues...
please use the search feature to find the others in the series.

2005 features a stamp that I had custom-made by The Stampin Place.  I did try to carve my own stamp at first, but wasn't happy with the result.  Rather than try again, I began to explore other options.  I explored a lot, but couldn't find "the one".  Having a rubber stamp custom made came at a steep price for the size I needed, but when it comes to the Christmas cards, we do what we must!
2005
The outside of the card featured the custom-stamp.  Inside, a 3-dimensional dove, symbol of peace, popped up when the card was folded backward.

SAR provided the stamps to create the pop-up dove.  This company's website banner poses the question--or is it a challenge?--"What can you do with a piece of paper?"  Browse the site, and you will be amazed at the possibilities inherent in a humble piece of paper.  To make the dove shown above, I purchased this rubber stamp set which includes stamps to make either a butterfly, dragonfly, or dove. 

Constructed from four separate pieces, the dove model was easy to put together using SAR's excellent written instructions (included with the stamp kit).  By year's end, I had become an expert on this particular model, LOL.


2006's effort became not only a card, but an announcement, too.  Another baby was due!  I hid the message underneath a flap that I cut around the top package.  This photo doesn't show it, but on the cards that were sent out I cut a semi-circle notch on the left side of the flap, and scored the opposite side so recipients would have some idea there was more to discover.

2006
The inside features another product from SAR (I was really hooked by the ingenuity of this company and ended up buying several of their kits).  This time I purchased metal dies (vs. rubber stamps) to make a forest of tiny trees.  I simply could not imagine having the time, patience, or skill to cut the ten pieces of intricate shapes per card required for this model, but the dies worked great.  The kids helped, too.  Holly, especially, was adept at putting together the cute little trees.

An accordian-type base was also required to make the tree mechanism work in the context I envisioned.  Fortunately, instructions and a template are available on the SAR site.  (Look under "Cool Projects" on their site.)

Stamps Used:  Art Impressions (delivery penguins, tree-topping penguins)

See you Thursday for the next installment...

No comments:

Post a Comment